I got in 10 400mg THC nerd ropes. Dipped my toe in the water yesterday and ate 1/4 at 2:00 a 1/4 at 3:00 and was pretty chill.
- Medical marijuana in Australia is only available with a doctor’s prescription. It is against the law to buy medical marijuana online without speaking to a doctor and obtaining a prescription.
- Medical marijuana is being used for many conditions in Australia. The most common conditions are chronic pain, anxiety and depression, sleeping disorders and inflammatory disorders (Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Arthritis etc.)
- The cost of medical marijuana is on par or usually cheaper than black market cannabis. Increased competition over the years has resulted in substantial cost decreases.
- The best place to start is your regular doctor. If they are not keen, start by filling out our eligibility form to book in with one of our medical cannabis doctors.
What Medical Conditions Qualify for Medicinal Marijuana?
Contrary to popular belief there is no defined list of conditions that medical marijuana can be approved for by the TGA.
The criteria used to determine eligibility is simply if you have tried conventional medication for your symptoms and these have not fully controlled your symptoms or have caused side effects.
Medical cannabis does not have to be a last resort as many people wrongfully believe. Rather, it simply cannot be a first-line treatment. So you would need to have tried a registered medication that your doctor would ordinarily prescribe for your symptoms.
If that medication fails to work or causes intolerable side effects, you would then be deemed eligible to try medical cannabis.
What Types of Medical Marijuana Products Are Available?
There are over 190 different products available in Australia at the moment and new products are being launched all the time. Products come in various forms:
- Flower (for vaporization)
- Oral Sprays
- Dissolving oral strips
- Creams and topical formulations
Oils are by far the most popular form at the moment, representing 65% of medical marijuana prescriptions written as of September 2021. Flower is the second most popular form representing 17% of medical marijuana prescriptions written in Australia.
What Formulations of Medical Marijuana Are Prescribed?
Products are generally split into 3 different categories: CBD, Balanced (CBD+THC) and THC products. Within CBD there is a further distinction of products as explained below:
- CBD Full Spectrum – the full plant extract containing all the cannabinoids, terpenes and other natural compounds that occur naturally in the cannabis plant (including very low, non impairment levels of THC). Full spectrum is needed to maximize the potential ‘entourage effect’.
- CBD Broad Spectrum – is full spectrum CBD that is further refined to remove the trace amounts of THC to accommodate driving laws in Australia. This is a good balance between maximizing the entourage effect potential and being able to legally drive.
- CBD Isolate – is a highly refined product where all the other minor cannabinoids, terpenes and natural compounds contained in cannabis are removed. It’s legal to drive while taking CBD isolate but you lose out on the potential entourage effect. Schedule 3 over the counter CBD products will most likely be CBD isolates.
- Balanced – equal parts CBD and THC. This is usually considered when CBD alone is not enough to manage symptoms. Research suggests that some THC is required to help alleviate symptoms of pain.
- THC Dominant – THC dominant with little to no CBD present.